maandag 19 november 2012

The thing about a helmet design

Or there are more things to a helmet design than you think...

What makes a good helmet design? Each and every helmet with any design has a personality, an identity.
Is it a bought motorcycle-helmet with a fabric painted design or a completely self-tought and by a pro handpainted design.

It intreges me what goes around in the head of the painters to make some designs really shine/ come alive.
 I've seen a lot of designs over the years and no helmet is the same. (Except for some copycats, wich I don't understand at all or fabric painted helmets.)

The interpretation of a design starts with an idea, with a bundle of thoughts.
How do you make it work? By being an artist.
Some helmets are truely a work of art.

Some take the word "art" very seriously.
Helmet by Bell Helmets Europe (pls don't copy)


But art has many ways of telling it's story.
Do you want it to express your identity, who you are?
Or does the helmet tells a story of it's own?

These are for me the most important stones to build a great design.

A fantastic example of the second way of making a helmet work is the latest work of KoopKustoms. 
Geert has made a Batman design for the Las Vegas Special 2012 and wow, what an amazing job he did!
Over and over again he makes true art on a helmet.

This helmet has a 90's Batman cartoon design over it and that says it all.
With crazy details and a wonderfull finish, this is one of the craziest helmets I've ever seen.

Design and painting by KoopKustoms (pls don't copy)

The design is so great because it'so original. The idea was great, unique.
The elaboration on itself, is just out of this world.

This is a fantastic helmet design!

The other way of making it work, is that the design is an extension of who you are.
(The following sentences are my own ideas, my way I wanted my helmet to be.)

For my own helmet, that's where I started with the design.
I want it to be one of a kind, different than the others, be special on it's own way.
But not too shiny, not that step too much.
This had to be my identity on the track.
A bit different than usual, but without exaggerating.
That made for me a great design.

There were many ideas, many thoughts, many ways of telling what I wanted.
You can honour your idols, put in a funny thought, a crazy detail.
But it did'nt feel right. (I'm not going to explain the design of my helmet, it's not that interesting for an outsider.)

It all came together when I met Marcel from TjelloCreations.
That was the moment when I realised that these guys are artists.
You give them your thoughts and they distille them to a design that really comes out.

Painted by TjelloCreations (Copy and you will be punished!)



So how do you now you have the right design for you?

you'll realise it everytime you're watching it.
You will be smiling.




1 opmerking:

  1. Nice post Tim! A helmet is part of a racer's identity, it defines who you are. I think it's more important than many others realise.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen